Command and Host Processor Profile
The recommended CH implementation is on a 6U VPX board, as defined in the VITA 46 standard and the Mechanical Specification. VPX is preferred for a number of reasons, a few of which include:
- 3U and 6U board formats to accommodate varying sizes
- High-density connectors and flexible pinout
- Availability of ruggedized connectors
- Extensions of the standard specifically for space use (SpaceVPX)
- Ability to prototype with COTS boards, backplanes, and chassis
One example of a CH Node is shown below:
Although VPX is preferred, other standards may be considered for use as well. The consideration of alternate standards should carefully consider a number of factors, including heat dissipation, electrical connectivity, signal integrity, electromagnetic interference, resistance to shock and vibration, size, mass, etc.
It is important to note that although two JAS-compliant subsystems with differing mechanical standards may be integrated together, their adherence to the Communication Specification enables seamless communication between nodes in either system, regardless of their individual form factors.
For more details on mechanical recommendations, refer to the Mechanical Specification.